1 highly favored or fortunate (as e.g. by divine grace); "our blessed land"; "the blessed assurance of a steady income" [syn: blest] [ant: cursed]
2 worthy of worship; "the Blessed Trinity"
3 expletives used informally as intensifiers; "he's a blasted idiot"; "it's a blamed shame"; "a blame cold winter"; "not a blessed dime"; "I'll be damned (or blessed or darned or goddamned) if I'll do any such thing"; "he's a damn (or goddam or goddamned) fool"; "a deuced idiot"; "tired or his everlasting whimpering"; "an infernal nuisance" [syn: blasted, blame, blamed, damn, damned, darned, deuced, everlasting, goddam, goddamn, goddamned, infernal]
4 Roman Catholic; proclaimed one of the blessed and thus worthy of veneration [syn: beatified]
5 enjoying the bliss of heaven
6 characterized by happiness and good fortune; "a blessed time"
7 having good fortune bestowed or conferred upon; sometimes used as in combination; "blessed with a strong healthy body"; "a nation blessed with peace"; "a peace-blessed era" [syn: blessed with(p), endued with(p)]
- IPA: /blɛst/ or /ˈblɛsəd/
- IPA: /blɛst/
- having divine aid, or
protection, or other blessing.
- 1611: King James Bible (Matthew 5:5) - Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
- In Catholicism, a title indicating the beatification of a person, thus allowing public veneration of those who have lived in sanctity or died as martyrs.
- Held in veneration; revered.
- Worthy of worship; holy.
having divine aid, or protection, or other blessing
- Finnish: siunattu
In Catholicism, a title indicating the beatification of a person
Held in veneration; revered
Worthy of worship; holy
- Finnish: pyhä
- ttbc Hebrew: מבורך (mevorakh) m, מבורכת (mevurekhet) f
- ttbc Italian: beato , beata ; benedetto , benedetta
- past of bless
Blessed may refer to:
- The state of having received a blessing.
- In Roman Catholicism, a title applied to someone who has been beatified.
- Blessed (Beenie Man album), a dancehall album by Beenie Man.
- Blessed (Busta Rhymes album), an album by rapper Busta Rhymes (2008)
- Blessed (Hillsong album), an album by Hillsong Music Australia (2002)
- "Blessed", a 2002 country song by Martina McBride.
- Blessed, a 2004 motion picture about a supernatural pregnancy.
- Blessed, a 2005 BBC television sitcom.
- Brian Blessed (born 1937), British actor.
- Blessed is a song on the 1966 LP Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel.
- Blessed, a 1995 song by Elton John.
- Blesséd, Christian alternative worship group on the South Coast of the UK
- A Blessed reference is the main mechanism for support of object-oriented programming in the Perl programming language.
- Blessed - a special type of video-game item, usually particular to role-playing games, that cannot be stolen or dropped upon death. An example is a player-owned house key from Ultima Online.
- Blessed (Beanie Baby), a Beanie Baby bear produced by Ty, Inc.
Elysian, Olympian, absolute, auspicious, beaming, beatific, beatified, beatitude, blamed, blankety-blank, blasted, blessed with luck, blessedness, bliss, blissful, blooming, canonized, capering, celestial, cheerful, chirping, confounded, consecrated, cursed, cussed, dadburned, dancing, danged, darn, darned, dashed, dedicated, deuced, devoted, doggone, doggoned, downright, ethereal, extramundane, extraterrestrial, favored, flushed with joy, fortunate, from on high, gay, glad, glorified, glowing, goldanged, goldarned, goshdarn, hallowed, happy, heavenly, in glory, in luck, infernal, joyful, joyous, laughing, leaping, lucky, otherworldly, outright, paradisaic, paradisal, paradisiac, paradisic, perfect, positive, providential, purring, radiant, regular, ruddy, sacred, sainted, saintly, sanctified, set apart, singing, smiling, smirking, sparkling, starry-eyed, supernal, thrice happy, transcendental, transmundane, unearthly, unmitigated, unworldly